Help! I want to understand what you guys are talking about!

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
anton
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Help! I want to understand what you guys are talking about!

Viesti Kirjoittaja anton »

http://www.mersuforum.net/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

I want to know what you are discussing in this topic. I see you are talking about the om603 and 400hp:s. Different turbos and different boost.
veskola
Valvoja
Valvoja
Viesti:

Re: Help! I want to understand what you guys are talking abo

Viesti Kirjoittaja veskola »

Oh there is just speculation how much boost pressure is needed to get 400 HP out of the OM603.

...and finally discussion flows, it depend so many issues e.g. the size of turbocharger, how the pump is adjusted etc etc. There is nothing very important in that topic.

There is also discussion about different variation of Holset HX40 turbos, there is a super version for racing purpose, and they speculate how much it can help to get enough power out.
Viimeksi muokannut veskola, Ti 01.05.2007 18:51. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.
Lisää tietoa: www.skg.fi
Mauri H.
Valvoja
Valvoja

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mauri H. »

The topic starter is asking if it is possible to get 400 fwhp with only 1.6 bar of boost.

Then there is duscussion about differend turbo's, mostly chit chat.

Most guys still don't seem to understand that boost it self doesn't tell much about the volume of the air that runs through the engine in certain time. It's the volume on air that defines the otuput, not boost.
anton
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

okey. Why I wonder is because I myself has now this summer builded this type of s"super-turbo" in a w201 chassis. The "mynä" pump, large IC, the getrag from the 2,3-16, 3"exhaust, 4"downpipe, .Oilcooler, New mainfold with a hx40 (61inlet - 65outlet) HKS wastegate 50mm. The boost is set for 1.7bar. (how much hp:s? - Idon´t know)

I have had it out for some race this summer and I´m quite impressed. Best time at 201m was 8.82sec, but then the rear end bounced and not enough grip in the tyres. The tyres was dry-type rallycross tyres.

But I have some trouble with the spool-up. I think it is extemly slow. I have checked the pressure side for leaks but not found any leaks. Is it the engine caracter who make it so slow spool-up? And the useable register ? My is around 4000 to 6000rpm:s. How is the camshafts in this engines? I thinking about to compare the turbo cam wit the non-turbo camhaft. Cause sometimes the non-turbo cams are better for raceuse with turbo.

so this winter I´m going to build a compressor setup im my w201.An eaton m90. Two intercoolers, each one for the compressor and one for the turbo.The turbo-setup will also be used. So next sommer there will be more useable poweerregister. New intake mainfold flowpotimized also. Maybe the BMW M535 rear transmission...

So Please let me know all the "good-to-know" stuff about turbo tuning the 603 engine.

Checkout the link. Some pictures on my setup.
http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.ph ... t=mercedes

Best reg Anton
Mauri H.
Valvoja
Valvoja

How big is the tubing of your exhaust manifold? Looks like it is quite big, that might effect turbo spooling.

42 mm inside is maximum as far as I think.
anton
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

the tubest that I use is 45mm inside. And yes, I have discussed the difference with som friends and we calculated te difference between the 42mm and the 45mm turbing. We figured out that the difference in areal volume was just a few procents. It wouldn´t be that big difference then according to the "slow "spool-up.

Is there anyone who have tryed different camshaft in the 603 engine?
Mauri H.
Valvoja
Valvoja

38 mm tubes seem to work the best, so I might suggest you to try to do a new manifold. Volume difference is considarable between 38 and 45 mm tubes.
nokileka
Mersumies
Mersumies

Viesti Kirjoittaja nokileka »

Do you have enough fueling without boost (lot of powersmoke)?

For me turbine housing looks kinda big. It makes big difference. Try smaller, turbo should make some boost somewhere 2000-2500.

Exhaust manifold looks fine for me, hard to believe that tubing size can make such a difference. But what I know, I've tried only one setup :lol:
1992 W201 & S124 [size=75]TURBODIESEL[/size]
anton
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

oh yes, alot of smoke...how is your setup? Turbo? Exhaust? (tubing mm?) Wastegate, ic, pump modifications?
Mauri H.
Valvoja
Valvoja

I have tried 42 mm and 38 mm, smaller manifold makes turbo spool up faster, it is not big difference between those sizes, but if you compare 45 mm and 38 there must be noticable difference.

Turbine housing does look big, but it seems to be with integral wastegate, what is the number of the housing? Not 17?
anton
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Yes, its integraled wastegate, but i don´t use it. I go for the external wastegate. The housing is 16.

Ok, the I have some to think about. But I´ll keep my "big-tubed" mainfold untill I have tryed with the compressor setup. The compressor will afterall help the turbo spool up way faster than now.. I´m hoping for the best that it will just work with the compressor. It would be really nice with a strong "torque" engine..

/Anton
anton
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

okey, a small clip of my car. Take it easy up to the third gear.. :twisted:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0071508678
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja canonballman »

Nice!!!!
dalek
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja dalek »

Very nice setup! I need to learn how to build and exhaust manifold for my car. Like yours, I want one the turbo would sit on it instead of connecting to it sideways. This way it would be easier to bolt it without having to hold the bloody thing. I also see that you too cannot stand the hard metal turbo oil feed line; I end up bending it once and decided to go flexible.
Vastaa Viestiin