Greetings from Kerava, Finland! A little help needed

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Greetings from Kerava, Finland! A little help needed

Viesti Kirjoittaja mattlill2000 »

Hi! I'm a Canadian and have lived in Finland with my Finnish wife for 15 years now. My mother was Finnish so I can speak and read Finnish but my written Finnish is terrible and thats why I'm writing in English. Anyway I'm trying to make a long time dream come true and buy a sports car that my wife and I will tour in as our kids are grown up and have decided that the Mercedes Benz 170 SLK230 2000-02 is the car. I've looked at Auto Scout and can't believe on how much cheaper they are in Italy and Germany and have decided to fly down, buy one, tour around a bit and bring it back to Finland.
However, I've hit a snag and that is I'm not getting any responses about insuring the car in Germany/Italy. As I understand it in Germany, I can join ADAC and get insurance, but that does not include Casko. I've tried to contact Insurance companies but have had no luck. So the question that I need help in is that if anybody out there has Imported a car to Finland, 1-What kind of insurance did you have? 2-Did you also get Casko?
Thanks for your time! I'll start going into Mersuforum.net getting to know you all and when I am a proud owner of a SLK230, see it there are any meetups that I could meet you! Take care, Matti
yari67
Vakiokalustoa
Vakiokalustoa

Re: Greetings from Kerava, Finland! A little help needed

Viesti Kirjoittaja yari67 »

In Germany you can get normal insurance when you register your car in German plates. Then call your Finnish insurance company and get Kasko. If you buy car from dealer they will help you out with registration. When you come to Finland you have to declare your car with customs and they will define value of the car in Finland and determine how much you have to pay customs duty. Usually it is some 25 percent. With you car it could be some 3000-4000€ even. If I were you I would buy car from Germany and from authorized Mercedes-dealer. Go to http://e-services.mercedes-benz.com/dsc ... :15hadra5g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those cars you are looking cost some 10 000-14 000€ in Germany.
W 202 C 180 -98
EX-W 210, 290 TD 1997
JarkkoN
Mersumies
Mersumies

Viesti Kirjoittaja JarkkoN »

Hi there! You should contact your Finnish insurance company and ask for Casko. You can get one prior to actually purchasing a car provided that you can identify the type of the car well enough. You should also ask if you could get the compulsory traffic insurance in advance. It's easier if you already have the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of the vehicle, but it's not a must. If you're insurance company is unable to assist you, ask another company. The policies are different. In any case, you will be asked by Tulli in Finland to get the insurance before you are allowed to drive the car in Finland.

The Casko will cover you if you drive the car. However, there might be some limitations in coverage regarding cargo transport in a boat or in a truck abroad. Check this with the insurance company.

In Germany you'll need a temporary German traffic insurance and export plates. There are yellow and red plates associated with short and long traffic insurances, respectively. Both will do, choose the cheaper option.

You should definetly go for a facelift R170, as you already have decided. If you want to know how much tax you must pay, check the home page of Tulli. There are statistics and a log of old taxation decisions.

http://www.tulli.fi/en/finnish_customs/ ... /index.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.tulli.fi/fi/yksityisille/aut ... /index.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't recently imported a car from Germany, so I can't give you the most recent information. I did import a SL500 from Japan
last year, though.
S211 E 320 CDI T 4matic 11/2006
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Kiitos Yari67 and JarkkoN! This is the first time I've seen the Mercedes used car site and that is the way to go, except the price. I'll look into it because its important to buy a well maintained used vehicle. Yari, your from Kerava! I have my insurance at Lahi Vakutuus in the center of Kerava and they have said they won't offer Casko until the car is on Finnish soil. I'm going back again and ask them to look into it. If not maybe I should start looking at other Insurance companies. By the sounds of it. Casko is offered. Any suggestions for a Insurance company?
There is a little joke about the difference between Canadians and Finns. Canadians complain "It's too expensive, it's expensive". Finns complain "The quality isn't good enough, the quality isn't good enough". The result, the Canadian will go to Italy and buy a cheap SLK, while the Finn will go to a Mercedes dealer in Germany and buy a quality used SLK! But the facelift SLK is the only choice for me, regardless on how cheap I am!
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

With all the feedback about that it is possible to get Casko in Finland, I went to my local Lähi Vakatuus again and inquired. Apparently the lady looked into it realized she made a mistake and not only can I get Casko but also full insurance for the car once I have it in my name. Be it Germany or Italy. Also from your feedback, I think I'll stay safe and buy in Germany. Will keep you posted on the progress!
yari67
Vakiokalustoa
Vakiokalustoa

I´ve got insurance from Fennia and Pohjola, go to Kerava office and ask there. From Fennia I got it last year.
W 202 C 180 -98
EX-W 210, 290 TD 1997
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Hello Again and here we go! The wife and I are flying to Hamburg on sunday to start SLK shopping! There seems to be a nice 2000 facelift model in Lubeck, but it has no radio and I wonder if that may be a problem. Then there a few nice SLKs a few hundred kilometers from there. I would like to thank all of you for your help and advice and will keep you posted when I can. These are exciting times for me!
JarkkoN
Mersumies
Mersumies

Great!

It looks like any DIN size radio will fit into an SLK. I recommend Becker Audio 30 APS,
it's the original Mercedes radio with navigation. The cost is 200-350E for a second hand unit
with the latest software and maps. SLK has the speed signal in radio connector so the installation
should be plug&play except the GPS antenna which must be added.

Try to find a car with clean history and no crashes. Don't buy the cheapest one, instead buy
from a good dealer if you can. I suppose the roof mechanism doesn't like crashes too much.
Hamburg is not the best place to buy a Mercedes but SLK must be a common car so you will
have enough choice.
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Hi! Just got back to Finland with my facelift 2000 SLK 230k! With all the choices available in Germany, I was prepared to travel a bit, but bought my first choice in Lubeck. No crashes, full service history and driven under 100k. The used car dealership was very cooperative and I don't think I would of suceeded as well with a private seller. So then it was time to find out if I did buy a good car. The wife and I drove down to Austria, Switzerland, France and back to Travelmunde to take the ferry to Helsinki and the car worked Perfectly! It's a 10 year old car so I think I have to be gentle with it, but boy is it fun to drive and last night with this beautiful weather, again I was out for a drive with the top down. I feel like a kid again!
Still have to get Finnish plates (waiting for the CoC from Germany) and waiting for the tax charge...............
Again, thanks for all you help as your advice made this trip work. Mercedes rules!
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Hi! Just got back to Finland with my facelift 2000 SLK 230k! With all the choices available in Germany, I was prepared to travel a bit, but bought my first choice in Lubeck. No crashes, full service history and driven under 100k. The used car dealership was very cooperative and I don't think I would of suceeded as well with a private seller. So then it was time to find out if I did buy a good car. The wife and I drove down to Austria, Switzerland, France and back to Travelmunde to take the ferry to Helsinki and the car worked Perfectly! It's a 10 year old car so I think I have to be gentle with it, but boy is it fun to drive and last night with this beautiful weather, again I was out for a drive with the top down. I feel like a kid again!
Still have to get Finnish plates (waiting for the CoC from Germany) and waiting for the tax charge...............
Again, thanks for all you help as your advice made this trip work. Mercedes rules!
JarkkoN
Mersumies
Mersumies

Great success! We need photographs to look at.
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Kuva
You know I was always waiting for the perfect time to take a pic and never did....... But here is a pic my wife took in Switzerland
yari67
Vakiokalustoa
Vakiokalustoa

congrats! looks nice, maybe we´ll see in Kerava, not too many of those here.
W 202 C 180 -98
EX-W 210, 290 TD 1997
JarkkoN
Mersumies
Mersumies

Colors are the classic Mercedes racing silver and black interior just like in my SL500:

Kuva
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Looks great! Hope to see you in Kerava Yari. Maybe we should arrange a Mersu get together?
mattlill2000
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Just put in 5000k's since I purchased my SLK and came back from the cottage today with the top down for about 500k's and my 170 facelift 230k has been rock solid!!! Well almost, the SLK had to go through a mechanical in the process of registering it in Finland and I have to replace the right front upper ball joint.
Along with the excellent reliability so far, it's minor compared to the sheer delight it gives me when I go for a drive.
JarkkoN
Mersumies
Mersumies

The upper ball joints are a weak spot in W201 and W170 which share the same parts.
I had to replace the upper ball joints at 120 tkm for my W202. I sold the car at 177 tkm
and the only additional repair up to that day was the front brake pads.

You should also pay attention to the corrosion preventing coating in the rear wheel wells.
I had one small spot that was loose next to a hole covered by a plastic cap. There was no
rust under the loose coating yet, so it was easy to remove it and spray some new stuff.

It's a good idea to keep the car clean and waxed in order to protect it against the salt and sand.

Yesterday I put a Becker Audio APS 30 into my SL500. It was plug&play, also for the navigation.
The previous owner has modified the aerial antenna plug and I still must change it, though.
Vastaa Viestiin