New owner of an older Mercedes needs serious advice.

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
network.engineer
Uusi tuttavuus
Uusi tuttavuus

New owner of an older Mercedes needs serious advice.

Viesti Kirjoittaja network.engineer »

Hi all,

In the sense of Mercedes, I am a newbie and would welcome any advice I can get. Apologies if I type/ask something heart-breaking :D

We recently (as of yesterday) bought a an older used Mercedes, it has been imported by the dealer from Germany. The model itself is an E series 270 CDI T farmari, initially taken into use in 2003 and has about 149.000 on the mileage.

May I ask the following questions (even though it may seem a bit late):

- What should be the average fuel consumption for this car? The reason for this is that I read it would be about 7/100; however, the computer often shows above that, ranging between 8-14. Not sure what is going on. Are these readings average?

As of right now, we would drive about ~100 kms/daily; however, we are planning to move into the pääkaupunkiseutu, can I expect that the consumption would rise much more?

Secondly, what are the problems that I might expect with this car? Any known problems?

Thirdly, the car keeps veering to the right. I asked the dealer, and he said that wheel balancing had been done and it was because of the 18" wheels. I checked with his huoltopaikka and they said that wheel-balancing/alignment was not done. This is something I am discussing with the dealer now. But are there any known problems with the steering column?

Thanks for any advice.
Nozki
Mersumies
Mersumies

Re: New owner of an older Mercedes needs serious advice.

Viesti Kirjoittaja Nozki »

Hello,

congratulations about the new car and welcome to the forum! First time I'm writing here in English. I quess I have to try it once too. ;)

But anyways, I'm not an expert of the mentioned model at all, so there's not much I can say about that unfortunately. But something anyways; hopefully experts can say more and correct if I'm wrong...

The fuel consumption sounds quite high, if you are now talking about average consumption of longer mileages. For instant current (or however you call how much it takes at the moment it is showing the number) that sounds normal.

If you have automatic transmission, I've understood that there might be a risk of cooling liquid and transmission oil to get mixed in the radiator. That happening long enough will finally destroy the transmission. The problem is due to quality problem in Valeo radiators and the problem was fixed some time during 2003. There are a lot of discussions about this; here is one: http://www.mersuforum.net/forum/viewtop ... t=glykolit

Also, I'm not sure if we are now talking about the W211 model (the estate models were both W210 and W211 in 2003 if I got it right), but those 211's had the electro-hydraulic brake system in the beginning of production time. At some time it was quietly left off and replaced with traditional brake system to the newer cars. If you have this sort of brakes, they might be causing something, or then not. It's clear that some problems were there, otherwise they wouldn't have taken it away like that. But I would not be very worried about that anyway.

I have not heard anything about typical steering problems. If it is not broken somehow, then the re-alignment of wheels should do. Where to have it done, I don't know the service companies at your area, but also about this there are discussions, like this one: http://www.mersuforum.net/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=23139

And finally, as you have written the same things in the Finnish area also, I would suggest that you add a link from there to this English discussion too. Then maybe you won't get so many things twice. Or actually, I can do it... :)
W124 250 D -92
C123 280 CE -81
W124 E 300 Turbodiesel -94
S211 E 220 CDI -09
Vastaa Viestiin