OM617 turbocharged Norway

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
Hansa617
Uusi tuttavuus
Uusi tuttavuus

OM617 turbocharged Norway

Viesti Kirjoittaja Hansa617 »

Hi

I'm from Norway and have been following this forum and all your turbo projects closly in the past. Very impressive results! This has inspired me to try on my one. And then I have som qustions:

First what my plan is:
1. I have 1982 W123 300D and a 1985 S123 300TDT.which is the donor car in this project.
2. The plan is to take det gearbox and engine from the S123 and put in the W123. And then add a IC, new exhaust, airfilter, and som adjustments. Goal is 200 Hp++.

The qustions I have: (for now, more will probably come as soon as these are answered:-)
1. Will I be able to reach approx: 200 Hp with the stock turbo, a large IC and a new exhaust system, and some adjusting of the dieselpump and turbopressure?

2. Will I gain anything from modifing the dieselpump at for example menädiesel, with out changeing the turbo?

Thanks
Antti M.
Mersumies
Mersumies
Viesti:

Re: OM617 turbocharged Norway

Viesti Kirjoittaja Antti M. »

My english is a little bit rusty, but I try to answer something (hope I understood the questions right)

1. Stock turbo is too little if you want to have 200hp and without bigger elements in the pump you can't reach that much power. OM617 cylindear head doesn't breath well, so it's not easy to take there VERY MUCH power, but with bigger elements, bigger turbo and other little modifies I believe 200hp should have been able to get, how much more I don't know.

2.Yes you will, but with bigger elements you should be careful that exhaustgaspressure doesn't get too high.
Millhill Performance
-Built With Pride-
Hansa617
Uusi tuttavuus
Uusi tuttavuus

Viesti Kirjoittaja Hansa617 »

Thank you for your reply. I see that you run with the om617. Could you be so kind to explain what you have done to your engine and how much power output you expect you have acomplished?

And when you say that the om617 does'nt breath well, is the only solution to modify the cyllindarhead? (which i must say is probably very expensive:-) So that is not a good solution for me:-)

But to compensate for the exhaustgaspressure, would it be sufficent with a larger dimensioned exhaust system, like 3,5-4"?

What turbo would you suguest? I see that many here are using the Holset HX40, is this a suitable turbo for the om617 as well?

And does any "upgrade" turboes fit the original exhaust manifoild or will I need a custom made one?

Thank you for replies. And please tell me about your solution.
Antti M.
Mersumies
Mersumies
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Antti M. »

My OM617 is not original turbo motor, I have Schwitzer s2 turbo without wastegate, intercooler and pump has original elements(feeding and rpm:s has been put to the maximum). Horsepower is about 120-150.

Breathing gets better by modifing the cylinderhead, but of course other things like inlet manifold and exhaust manifold have influence in breathing.

To compensate exhaustgaspressures you have to put bigger wastegate or better choice is to get bigger turbo. I suppose that 3" exhaustpipe is big enough, but downpipe can be bigger.

Holset HX40 is maybe little bit too big for OM617(with original elements far too big) and right size depends also what you want, much torque on small rpm:s or maximum power.

If I remember right "rehtijii" had OM617 with original turbo,extra wastegate and bigger elements and accomplished 400Nm torque. I'm not sure if he had also other little modifications.

I have planned to put Holset HX40(or something little bit smaller or same size) turbo, make good inlet- and exhaust manifolds, shape little bit and polish ports in cylinder head, get bigger elements to the pump and put intercooler in front of watercooler and make minimum 3" exhaust pipe.

Don't believe blind on me, because I'm not an expert... :)

P.S. Some words maybe wrong, but I hope you understand.
Millhill Performance
-Built With Pride-
Virginia-dude
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja Virginia-dude »

Hello , new member here and wish to say Hello to everyone....

I have a spare OM617 turbo I plan to do some modifications to within the limits of what I can afford.

Does anyone know of a cylinder head porter in the USA that can be trusted not to make a mess of the head?
Vastaa Viestiin