intercooler and turbo choices

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
Mitch H
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

intercooler and turbo choices

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mitch H »

I'm looking to achieve 250-300hp in an OM602.

Would any of these turbos be a good idea? Holset Hx35 and Hy35 are easy to find, because they are used in Dodge pickup trucks. I have heard that these use the Garret T-3 flange, does this mean I can put them on my existing manifold?
I can also sometimes find Garrett GT2359V from US model 320CDI. How is the variable venturi on the GT2359V operated?

I also need to choose an intercooler. I have been told that taller/thicker intercoolers have less pressure drop, and longer intercoolers have more drop. What do you think of these? Are they too big?
11x12x3" core:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8024743606

18x12x3":
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8025801981
Samuli H
Mersumies
Mersumies

Viesti Kirjoittaja Samuli H »

Paloviita has 320 cdi turbo in his om602. This turbo is capable for about 250hp but no for more. Hx35 could be better if you are going for 300hp. Turbine wing should be something like at least 55-60mm.

I don´t know about those cooler pressure drops, but that bigger cooler in your link looks efficient. With those measures it will probably just fit behind the mask.

Here is my topic of tuning om602. Feel free to ask if there are any questions.
Mitch H
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Decided to use E320 VNT

Samuli H kirjoitti: Feel free to ask if there are any questions.
Thank you Samuli. Both links you gave seem useful, but I can't read them. I only understand American English. I just ordered a used 2005 E320 turbo for about 160 euro, should have it in a couple of weeks.
How does Paloviita control his variable nozzle?
Are the minimum and maximum nozzle areas known? The HX35 used in Dodge/Cummins had 12 cm2 nozzle, it sounds like the 320CDI VNT only opens to 9 or 10 cm2.

It looks like I could put an intercooler behind my grill if I remove the electric cooling fan and relocate the horns on my 2.3-16v. I don't know if the air conditioner would work well with the fan removed and an I/C in front of the condensor.
1979 300SD
1986 190E 2.3-16v 5sp
1987 190D 2.5 turbo (wrecked)
Samuli H
Mersumies
Mersumies

Re: Decided to use E320 VNT

Mitch H kirjoitti: How does Paloviita control his variable nozzle?
Transfer from his text:
Magnetvalve controlled by microswitch controls underpressure to clock which moves wings. So that at idle speed and low throttle wings are open.

I myself don´t know much about these vnt turbos or maximum and minimum nozzle areas.

If you consider keeping air conditioner, you might have to move watercooler towards the engine.
Mitch H
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

It sounds like this VNT is electrically operated. I'll know more when I get it. I will try to measure the nozzle area and post it here. Paloviita must have thought it was too restrictive if he keeps it open at low throttle.

On the 16V, I think I could move the watercooler (radiator) about 20mm closer to the engine without modifying the water pump or fan. I'll see how much room I have with the 602 after I rebuild it and put it in the car. Maybe it would be best to use a larger radiator and mount a water to air intercooler above the turbocharger. That would give the shortest path from the turbo to the intake manifold and the air conditioner condenser would have fresh unheated air.

I think I should get my engine rebuilt and mount the VNT turbo on it first, and decide on the coolers after I have the engine in the car.

I am still undecided on the exhaust manifold. What is the maximum horsepower possible with the original manifold?
1979 300SD
1986 190E 2.3-16v 5sp
1987 190D 2.5 turbo (wrecked)
Samuli H
Mersumies
Mersumies

Mitch H kirjoitti:I am still undecided on the exhaust manifold. What is the maximum horsepower possible with the original manifold?
It´s difficult to say how much power it could handle. My advise is to make a new manifold if it´s possible.
Vastaa Viestiin