OM606 into 124

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
Zeitgeist
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

OM606 into 124

Viesti Kirjoittaja Zeitgeist »

Hi, it's been a while since I last posted. I've been building up my new shop in preparations for the next phases of my Super Turbo project. My shop isn't quite ready, but I recently stumbled upon a low-mileage OM606 from a '99 E300D, and couldn't pass it up. I know several Finns have accomplished this swap in the past, but I don't believe anyone here in the US has done this. I'd love it if someone with some experience could provide some guidance as to the issues I'll face when installing this engine in my car. I already have a front mount intercooler installed, so that's not a problem. I also realize that the throttle and oil cooler lines might be some of the toughest issues. Anything else?

Kiitos!
Zeitgeist
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja Zeitgeist »

Now it's been a really really long time since I've provided an update. This engine is still on my stand, though I've worked through nearly all the issues related to this swap. I've converted the wastegate from vacuum to pressure and swapped over the 6mm elements from the 606 injection pump. I still have to settle on a decent throttle arrangement, but that's the last issue to address. I was checking out the rear of the crankshaft tonight and noticed that it appears to be about 6mm thicker than a 603 where it mounts to the flywheel. Am I going to have problems with either the starter engaging with the ring gear, or the speed sensor if I use the stock 603 flywheel...or, should I just use the (much much lighter) 606 flywheel? Anyone with experience with this issue? btw, I'm using a rebuilt 722.3 with V12 clutch packs.
Casey

'87 300TD w/606
'90 300D 2.5t
'94 100CSQ Avant
'89 Transporter Bluestar
Forced_Induction
Vakiokalustoa
Vakiokalustoa
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Forced_Induction »

Zeitgeist kirjoitti:I'm using a rebuilt 722.3 with V12 clutch packs.
Can you provide details on this; Is the upgrade compatible with earlier .3 transmissions? Whats the torque capacity? What is done for the torque converter to handle the high power?
1982 300D
Maxed MW-Pump, Holset HE221W, straight pipe exhaust, A/W intercooler, W/M injection
W115 300D intake manifold, 2-Micron Baldwin BF7591-D fuel filter, W126 Gen-II front brakes
Webasto TSL-17 auxiliary hear, Battery relocated to the trunk, Factory skidplate, 15mm rear sway-bar
147HP, 220lb-ft at the rear wheels

2006 Honda Rebel Turbo Diesel
Kubota OC95, VZ21 turbocharger, Intercooler, Comet 40C/44D CVT
Vastaa Viestiin